Thursday 15 March 2018

(EDIT, text from prev ) Access Brief; Alternative Miss World

1
A review of progress and achievement throughout the course.

Throughout my time at college I was unsure what I specifically wanted to do, but coming into the foundation year, I realised that I actually want to move into a large range of subject areas, these being Illustration, concept art and making comics. But in the past I hadn't done much that linked to these subjects specifically, so now I'm currently having to strengthen the subject areas to push my work further and into a more professional style of working on them. I plan to make my own comics to hopefully publish, do submissions of illustrations and work for a company within a team of people for a project of a show, movie, game etc. 
So for this project I'm decided to start getting myself more invested into doing landscapes and animals, these either being human or mythical. So for this project, and probably for my last FMP project, I'm wanting to do something like making concept art of a world, a little comic of one of my stories, or a series of illustrations on something.


2
Explain the concept of my project, say what the concept is and how I've made my project to fit the concept and my area of interest. I will also have to include what inspired me to make my project, what artists I used and went to for ideas and/or research, previous ideas that didn't work or failed, how I developed my ideas, the resources and equipment I would use etc.

The base of this project is on Alternative Miss World, but I will move away from the fashion and fine art theme that Alternative Miss World has and move into my personal subject areas of illustration, concept art and comics.
I've been inspired by a shipping mishap that happened to me last year where I ordered Rodin's The Thinker statue to put in my room, but instead what turned up was the Baphomet goat used in the religion of Satanism. It was a surprise for me, but I took an interest and kept it while also looking deeper into it's symbolism and meanings behind it and the religion it represents. I've already started generating and developing ideas from this inspiration early, mainly to find out what I can do with this idea that will still link to Alternative Miss World.
I overall plan to make a couple, a series, of illustrations/concept art of the rings of hell, based from the old poem 'Divine Comedy' where the story of the rings of hell is explained by Dante being guided through hell by the ancient Roman poet Virgil.
With artists to use, I wasn't sure, since I felt that I didn't really want to use an artist to take reference or style from, so I didn't, and don't plan to do too much of developed research into one. But the few artists that I'll be doing some research into and reference from is Hurvin Anderson and Stanley Spencer, two artists I discovered at a Turner Prize event at the Hull art museum.
Equipment wise, this project will mostly be in my sketchbook, notes and photoshop with my drawing tablet, using real life references and photographs for textures and drawing aids when I want to use them.


3
Do an overall review of my work, evaluate throughout the process of making my project and development I did and how it effected my project, then a conclusion of my finished project.

At the moment I think my work is going in the right direction, even when it's currently just sketchbook work. I'm going to try and make sure I use a suitable amount of research and references, wanting to avoid from using too much and not too little, this is mainly because last time I used alot of research and references in another project I got confused and lost among them all, confused with what was what, how I used certain ones, the creators, the links and urls etc. So I'm going to try and keep the amount of references and pieces of research I'll use to the minimum, though I don't expect to use too many of them before and during making the final digital versions.
I need to write down my reflection process more often, at the moment I've been forgetting to keep track of my work and writing down any other ideas I may have aswell as where I'm getting my research from, artists, sites, videos and links to my work. Though I need to try and not focus too much on research aswell since it can, and has, keep me slow and behind in my work, using up my time that could be used for more important parts of the project like the final pieces.
Developing for the final piece will take up most of my time on this project so I can understand the world, it's elements, what's involved, the weather, ambiance etc. Including these when I make my final concept piece. When I'm making the final version of the concept pieces I plan to go online and look at some tutorials that help out how to give a better effect to my work, different techniques, what tools to use, and even how to include real life photos, references, into you work.
Once I've finished my project, I expect there to be at least more than 2 pieces of finalised work for the project that are in a better quality than my previous pieces of work have been. There will likely be things I would change or have done differently, but I'm determined to try the best I can with this project and use the development work positively and towards the final pieces of work.

4
Explain about the necessary progress of the project over the weeks up to the dead line, and show what actions were taken in those weeks so it would be finished successfully in time for the dead line.

When working on concept art / illustration, there is normally a space in time of building up the idea, practising certain techniques, body poses, environments etc. Along with self reflecting notes to look back on later, to use past ideas and advice through the process of the project.
To me, to make a successful project I would plan out my initial idea of what I was going to do and make sure to write down and show any changes I may have or want to make to the project. I would sketch out my ideas aswell as write them down, note what I would like to have, change, include or replace and try to get some second opinions from my peers and tutors, aswell as ask if they have any suggestions of advice I can use or take into account.
Once I know what I'll be doing for the final part of the project, I would try to timetable my work, organise when I would do certain things, when to sketch, when to write and reflect, when to research etc. Though I don't plan on using too much research or references in my work, but I'll still make a few days for it just in case. I would use the spare time I have and dedicate it to working and plan a few entire days to working on the project when I'm at home where I have access to my equipment.
I would try to limit myself to how long I would spend on certain parts of production of the project, putting a bit more into the final pieces so I would get at least more than 2 successfully done by the end of the deadline.



No comments:

Post a Comment