Thursday 22 January 2015

3D Art




Mod rock


For this part of the 3D work, I practiced with mod rock.
I wrapped it around different shaped bottles, small tubs, following the seam lines that were visible on them so I would be able to take off the hardened mod rock later on.


These are the results of the bottles. I used the bottles mainly for the practice of handling mod rock, finding out the different textures it can come out like; some came out bumpy rough, hard to get off the bottle, when another one came out as smooth and easy to slip off the bottle. The seam lines on the bottles resulted me in having three parts of a mod rock model, one of them being the bottom of a bottle, the other two being the main body of the bottle split into two.
The images below are the results of two bottles I used, on of them having the whole body of the bottle split in two with the bottom, the other having the bottom separate with one half of the bottles shape.





















These are the results of using an ice-cream tub, having wrapped the outside of the tub. I wanted to use the shape of the small tub to make an abstract like model which would've had small twig-like and smooth shapes sticking out from it, also filling the empty spaces with more mod rock with the other objects inside it, or just fill it with a mix of tissue papers. The images show the tub I used and the mod rock model that came from it, which the tub can actually fit into or the model fitting back into the tub.



As well as using mod rock to take the shape of the tub and bottles, I made a tree structure out of wire-frame, taping them together to make the trunk and branches, ending them into shape before wrapping it in mod rock. Once it was dry and the mod rock had hardened I was able to slightly readjust some of the branches and then wrap it up with colored tissue paper so it would have a similar look and colour to an actual tree.

The health and safety for using mod rock was considered while I made my work.
If I was allergic to the materials used in the plaster I would've had to use gloves that were provided, as well as take more caution when working, but since I wasn't allergic didn't have to use the gloves, but used my bare hands instead which I would wash off later to clean off any leftover mod rock.
Ripping the mod rock when it's dry (unused) can cause it's dust to float around in the air and enter someone's lungs, causing difficulty to breathe short-term or even possible long-term for those who are allergic, depending how much is inhaled.
Mod rock was to be in the personal working area, not left lying about that could risk causing injury or damage other work.

No comments:

Post a Comment