Sunday 25 January 2015

3D Art



3D Models

This part of the work included making my character into a 3D physical model that I had previously planned and drawn out on paper.
Firstly I had to make a wire frame/structure that would shape the character into a familiar looking model, wrapping and hooking separate wires together, such as the arms to the shoulders, and then mold clay over the top of it, not having to worry about colours or movement since the clay would harden after it had dried. I hoped it would stand up by itself by how I would've proportioned the clay, only later I had realized it would've of been able to stand up easier if I had made the proportions larger at the base of the model.





The second time I had to make the model I was using colored plasticine. Like before, I made a wire frame/structure, wrapped, tied and hooked wire pieces together to make a skeleton looking character before adding on the plasticine. I had planned to make the legs longer and arms more proportionate to the rest of the body, but once I had made it I thought it fitted the theme I was going for with the box, especially with the long and strange looking arms and slight slouch in the stance the character had. I went for basic colours, not minding the characters overall colour and just caring for it to get finished and able to stand up by itself. I was planning to add hair to the character which would be separate small rolls of plasticine to represent the hair, but at the time I didn't have enough time.


 

With the floor of the box I weaved strips of coloured paper together, giving it the look of a wood panal floor. I used glue on the strips that were holding the corners together and making the square shape of it, fitting the box's shape. 



Primary sources for my character was basically looking at other people, their height, weight and overall look and structure of the body, though I also researched this in secondary sources too. For secondary sources for my character I was thinking of Alice Madness dark theme with my character not having a full face, giving off the creepy and dark theme that the Alice Madness game and illustration book has.  Also I wanted a Tim Burton and the slender man myth kind of style, tall, smooth, lanky, some parts out of proportion, strange, maybe some extra limbs etc. I would've improved the figure to be more defined and movable, along with maybe more colours as well as a pattern for the clothing. With Tim Burton's style, I was aiming for the kind of characters that were in the "Corpse Bride" and "Frankenweenie" as some of them had very slim tall figures though still in a way looking normal, overall having a strange but interesting look.

















No comments:

Post a Comment