Thursday 19 March 2015


T-Shirt Design


As I thought of a design to go on a piece of clothing such as a hoodie or t-shirt I wrote down a short list of names that I would like my design to be named under, a title for it like clothing companies 'Nike', 'Vans' and 'Adidas' does, their logos not really looking like what the name of it is. 

The names I thought I could use were;


  • Molar
  • Collar
  • Bell
  • Busted
  • Orbit
  • Hooked


I thought up what kind of logo and designs I would have on a t-shirt or hoodie, wanting something different and interesting to see while the design not being too big or small when it's on either the front or back that could possibly link with the title, such as using a picture of a molar tooth and manipulating it to look like a letter. I made some quick sketches of my ideas, the sketches actually linking to what I find interesting and would buy myself if I saw it on some clothing, this included a 3D looking model of a bell, quick sketches of a planet that I linked to the look of Jupiter and Saturn, and vampiric teeth.











After getting the sketches and drafts of my design, logo and title I began to develop it on Photoshop and Illustrator.




With the logo I just wanted to keep it a black font, but when I tried it dark coloured tops I realized it didn't stand out as much as I wanted it to, so I had the title/name of the brand have a red fill and black outline when on darker coloured backgrounds.
I developed the mouth of vampiric teeth idea and gave it a white lighting effect, having the design made up of three main colours with different levels of consistency or with a fading effect, black, red and white. I also thought of using a molar tooth as part of the logo, linking it together with the main design. As I continued to develop the idea I thought how I could improve it, I came to the idea of using some kind of pattern around or inside the main design like the 'hype' brand does, this way it would stand out more. I used a large, rounded thin bristle brush on Photoshop and did a large group of scribbles in a circle motion, once I was happy with the pattern I debated if it should go around the teeth design or inside it, though I chose to have it on the inside, giving it the effect that the pattern is on the teeth along with the white shading.























Review

Brand ID


The ideas behind my design and logo idea was it being linked to my own interests of the supernatural, this linking it to vampiric teeth that has a sharp smooth look to them. The smooth, sharp look of the main design inspired me to have the title of the brand linked to it, so I chose the closest font I could find of what I wanted it to be and edited some of the letters to have sharp, pointed edges to them.

Strengths

I believe the strengths overall in my work was in my sketches I used my own ideas linked to my own interests, making a cut down, short list of what names I would possibly use, the main designs and then how I could link them together like 'All Star Converse' does in some of their designs. The developed, cleaner and smoother version of my design really stands out to me as I go back to look at how I started off with a plain design of a mouth of teeth and developing it to have shadowing, lighting effects and design all while using the main concept colours. 

Weaknesses

The weaknesses in my work and what I would improve was the overall development of my ideas since I didn't have a lot of different ideas even when I could've included even more. The other design I was thinking of using, the planet inspired by Saturn and Jupiter mixed together, could've had more final development on it by filling the lines in and trying out the pastel colours I was planning to use on it, though I didn't do this because I was focusing more on my teeth design and logo.

Logo ID



The 'hype' brand looks like it is using a simple signature, hand written technique for the design and logo, adding more elements to it such as a background or frame to stand out and be more eye-catching.

The converse brand uses different colours, frames and font for the different logos they use, but always use a star in them since the brand has became well known and popular that the use of a star would have people think of the brand 'Converse'.

No comments:

Post a Comment