Sunday 12 June 2016

Willow and tissue paper

My first idea was a combination of wire and tissue paper, resembling a vertebra, though after constructing it I was incredibly disappointed and unsatisfied with how it turned out. So I moved on to my other idea, tocombine follow tree sticks and tissue paper, since I believed it would have a cool looking effect. I was unsure what shape I could make it into, but I eventually settled on the idea of them looking like windows or a pickup/dumbell weights. 

I didn't build up the design very much and just pretty much
drew own what first came and stayed in my head.
As I made the wire and tissue paper
sculpture, I added a ball of wire with
a medium thickness, wrapping it multiple
times around itself to give it some wight
to be used as support. 
In the process of making it I could see
it wasn't going to turn out the way I
would've wanted to. I wasn't sure that I
would be able to bring it back to a better
design.








Making the wire and tissue paper model proved quite difficult since the tissue paper didn't stick to the wire and just keep slipping and dropping off. Also I had to make my design stand, and with the way I had designed the bottom of it proved to be difficult for it to stand which became frustrating, s to help it stand I attempted attaching multiple wires on the circle base of the stand and connecting it to a thick wire in the middle, though this didn't improve it to stand by itself. I was unsure how I could get it to stand properly, but I tried getting a ball of wire, enough for it to have weight, and attached it to the opposite side of where it was top heavy and falling over. Though even this didn't fully stop it from falling, when it was placed in certain position it could, but it wasn't trustworthy.
I got the willow sticks together and
bound them together with tape, this
is more effective holding it strongly
together than string or normal tape would. 
Unsatisfied with the structure I decided to try a different idea, this time with widow sticks and tissue paper instead.

The willow sticks bound together making
the shape of a 3D triangle.




I did two sets of making two 3D triangles,
looking like dumb bells, and connecting them
together with a longer piece of a willow stick.

Once I had made the base, skeleton, of what would represent the rib cage, I put large pieces of tissue paper over the negative spaces of the art piece, I let them dry before I started to cut up pieces of tissue paper into strips and put them over the now dried larger pieces of tissue paper already on the piece. I did this by covering the strips of tissue paper with slightly watered down glue so it would stick to the structure but also harden slightly when it dries so it wont get damaged as easy. Placing the tissue paper onto the structure and have it stick to it was a bit difficult and frustrating sometimes, but I was eventually able to complete it in a way I wanted to and that I'm happy with.

Halfway done putting the first layer of
tissue paper onto the piece.
The tissue paper once it had dried, and I
put on a bit more glue where the willow was.
Once they had dried and the first part
of it was finished.
Adding on the strips of tissue paper
onto the piece, on top of the first layer
of tissue paper/

















Once I had stuck the tissue paper onto the
willow piece, I put a thin layer of the glue
mixed with warm water over it so it could
harden later once dried.







Once the piece had dried and finished, I put a long piece of string around the long piece of willow, wrapping it around it before tying it to the willow to stay in place.
A few days later I then practiced sketching the piece along with another structure I had made into my sketchbook.












Sketches of my first, smaller structure piece
referring to a vertibre, and my bigger piece that
refers to a rib cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment