Monday 11 January 2016

Materials Evaluation

Overall, I have worked with a range of different materials, mainly ones to help build models and structures, this includes:
  • Willow tree sticks with tissue paper and string. For making a model linking to life drawing again, I planned on making it into an abstract ribcage. I first sketched out the model I was planning to make before I began, using willow tree sticks to get the main structure done but in separate parts before taping them together. Once the 'skeleton' of the structure was done I began putting the tissue paper on the gaps between the willow sticks, ripping them into strips and layering them together along with glue to help it harden, once the tissue paper and glue had dried I added a single long line of thick string onto it. I would use these materials again since they were quite easy to work with, despite struggling at some parts and scratches and splinters from the willow.

  • Wire and mod rock. I used reference of skeleton bones of a forearm bone and vertebra before attempting to replicate the shape with wire. It took a few attempts before I was happy enough to cover it with mod rock which in result helped form the shape more. I found these materials a struggle to work with and didn't really enjoy working with them, but I wouldn't mind working with them again.

  • Clay and wire. I took reference from parts of bones from a skeleton such as the forearm bone, jaw, vertebra and skull, replicating them in bigger form with clay. I then added wire into the forearm bone. I found this enjoyable to work with, including with the wire, despite the mess and struggle when making smaller forms such as the teeth for the jaw, I would like to work with this material again.

  • Clay, wire and mod rock. Using my previous wire and clay models as reference, I made a more surreal and abstract version on the skull out of mainly clay, it having multiple horns placed around the top of the head, a longer and thinner jaw, one wide eye socket and wires poking out of the skull with small balls of clay on it. I then moved onto making a bigger version of the surreal abstract skull out of a lot of wire, wrapping it around to make the shape and then added the mod rock onto it while keeping the thick piece of wire poking out and wrapping around it, the mod rock helped shape the model a lot more. These materials were a bit annoying to work with, especially when wrapping the wire around itself since it wouldn't stay down the way I wanted it too and bounced back a little, also the progress was a bit long but I was happy with how it turned out, so I might use these materials again. 

  • Paper mache. I made a structure linking to my life drawing out of wire mesh, resembling an abstract form of a rib cage again. Once the wire mesh part of the model was done I wrapped it in strips of newspaper with a layer of glue over it, which would later harden. I then began to mix up paper, glue and water to make paper mache once the paper had dried, once this was ready I began to put the paper mache on the model, I had to use some supports on it since it was becoming top heavy and tipping over. Once dried I painted it in white. Overall I kind of enjoyed working with the material but wouldn't really want to work with it again but it all took too long to complete, though I would if I knew I had a longer deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment