Tuesday 12 January 2016

Wire and paper mache model

I linked the structure I wanted to make to an abstract ribcage, only having two of the ribs, but connected instead of being serrate, so they're like two rings.
I started by cutting some wire mesh to make the shape of a ring by also twisting either of the ends together by hand and by using a pair of pliers. I made another shape of a ring, then the spine and then the box that would go underneath it to hopefully support it and stop it from falling over.
Once all the wire mesh made of the shape of the structure, I began wrapping it in newspaper strips and layering them with glue so they will stick to the wire mesh and harden.

Once the paper had hardened I had to cover it in paper mache, to this I had to rip up newspapers into small pieces and mix it together with water and glue, and continue to mix it all together until there isn't any water at the bottom of the bucket it was being mixed in.
I then stuck the completed paper mache onto my model with the paper layer on it, tightly layering it by pushing and squeezing it onto the model so it wouldn't fall off, putting the paper mache onto it not too thick or too thin. Though since the paper mache was still wet it made it heavy and made the model top heavy and fall over, so I used some supports of water pots and a cardboard tubes to help it stop from falling over, also I did have to reapply some paper mache due to small bits falling off.







Once the paper mache had dried the model became hardened and a lot lighter, so I removed the supports so it was able to stand by itself before painting it white white paint.
Overall I think the model turned out well, though was sometimes a struggle to work with and took a while to complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment