Wednesday 30 March 2016

Review and Analysis of my Comic


Comic Review


The Idea:



The idea behind my comic is my journey from school to NNC college, the obstacles and problems I had to overcome because of the school, the waiting, the stuff I learnt and saw when I visited NNC, how I felt and what I thought and felt throughout it all. Though I mainly wanted to show how I discovered NNC, the kind of problems my previous school gave me and how many times I tried to resolve it by myself before having someone else help, as well mentioning that it took a while to get a response from NNC when I applied. I pretty much just wanted to share my own personal experience of my big step from school to college. 

Influence:

I was inspired by illustrators like Clay Butler, Andy Singer and Joan Cornella since they all have a good style that isn't too messy and keeping their illustrations simple. 

  • Clay Butler's illustrations have a very cartoon looking style to it, having different shapes of heads, mouth positions on the face, body shapes. hair styles etc. Along with a good use of shading and filling in blank spaces with shadows or gradient shades, which gives it the look that it was created with an ink pen, a biro pen. 
  • Andy Singer's illustration has a very interesting shading techniques, using short lines and dots instead of full shading for shadows and other light effects, also making it look like it's been made using an ink or biro pen while keeping a simple but yet still interesting style.
  • Joan Cornella's illustrations are different to the common types of comics due to some of its strange, weird and dark jokes and messages it's giving to the reader, and he experiments with body shapes. His style still stays simple with his characters in his illustrations while still looking quite eye-catching with it's colour palette what's going on in the comic. 

Structure and Flow:

I think the structure and flow of my overall story is good, it has the main details I want to tell are down. The illustrations of the situations and journey to college I had from school to college are understandable and shown clearly. I'm happy with how I've structured the layout of my comic and illustrations along with the use of cells overlaying over cells, giving it a different kind of effect. Though I think I could've improved on the layout a bit, because of the layout of the cells it makes it a little confusing of where you have to read and which cell to move on from to the next. Also on the second page of my comic I started to use more cells for text to explain more of what's going on, so I would've added more of those text cells in my first page of the comic.


Visual Language:

I believe my illustrations show my story in an understandable way, I drew the illustrations in my school environment, to show I was at school, the college environment and public environment etc. I'm satisfied with the style of my illustrations with my own style in it aswell as taking influence from other illustrators and artists like Joan Cornella and Clay Butler, taking inspiration from Cornella with his simple illustrations and Butler's shading technique and style.


Visual Impact:

I believe my visual style of my illustrations has some good visual impact, enough to catch viewers attention. It has a simple style that isn't too detailed or too simple, though I did try and add as much detail I could without ruining it, I added quick lines for shading and shadows, a crosshatching style to it. I think the colours are good, using bright happy colours for when I felt positive, dark dull colours for when it was negative, neutral colours, angry colours etc.
Though I do think I could've done a better style to make it a bit better in my opinion, a better shape or maybe more developed and detailed if I had more time to develop it. Also I think the choice of colours isn't exactly what I wanted, and might seem a bit off, childish or messy with the mix of them and because I rushed a little so some colours are outside of their lines.


Development:

I'm going to develop my work by using shading and colour a lot more careful so it doesn't look too messy and unprofessional, this includes the lines staying within the lines and the shading not being too small or big. Even though I'm happy with my layout I do believe it could've been structured together better, I would develop it by making the cells bigger and more defined next to each other. Also the overall style could've been a bit more detailed or maybe even a different kind of style if I had used other illustrators as inspiration with more detail and different colour palets.

No comments:

Post a Comment